Build Your Medium Business
ABPLAN’s Build for Results Programme for medium-sized companies is a tried and tested, well-established programme. Over the past 15 years, it was offered over 12 months and 120 hours. This programme became the source for a new, revamped programme.
Build For Results Programme – new
- I created written course modules
- The new programme is a self-study course
- This enabled me to halve the number of consulting hours from 120 to 60 hours and to reduce 10 to 5 hours per month
- Which enabled me to halve costs
Unique – why?
Firstly, the fee is low and affordable especially if the fee is divided by the number of participants. A medium-sized company usually has about five to 10/15 team members e.g. one owner plus 9.
Secondly, the programme was designed as a self-study programme. The module material is written in an understandable easy-to-absorb manner. It had to be learnable and doable – and it is, if each participant sets aside 30 to 60 minutes a day.
Thirdly, you will be able to use your plans and marketing material immediately.
How long will it take?
I will assist you to put into place – within 12 months – the foundations of a solid business and increase your probability of growing your company successful by 50 to 75%.
We do most of the ground work in six (6) months while you will refine and customise you systems and processes over the remaining six months. I will assist you over 60 hours i.e. five (5) hours per month x 12.
Payment is spread over 12 months at a fixed fee with no surprises.
A real business – an asset
A medium-sized company usually has a strong track record and is already an asset in the making. We assist you to put into place processes and systems which build and grow your business, your main asset.
How many entrepreneurs have created real assets? Not only a name, a logo, a website and a number of excellent products and services, but:
- a real, saleable business
- a company consisting of purposefully-crafted processes and systems
- a database
- a subscriber list
- a client list
- staff members who are able to assist the MD
- products and services “on the shelf”
The owner of a medium-sized company would have many of these items in place. The question is, how well and professionally in place? What is your track record? What will a due diligence investigation show?
Surely, you want a proper asset which could be sold in the future at a handsome price? Your business might be an important part of your pension plan. Or you might have a radical change in mind, sell and start another type of business.
Owners usually know they need consulting services and professional assistance in putting proper business plans, systems and processes into place.
Problem: For many medium-sized businesses, the price of consulting services is a consideration. What will it cost? How could I, as consultant and coach, drastically lower the price for medium-sized companies while still ensuring that I am able to offer my services in terms of a sound consultant’s revenue model?
Solution: Develop a programme which minimizes the presence of the consultant and increases the role of the owner as leader/manager and in-house consultant.
- The owner(s) and their team members need to learn and absorb the programme largely through self-study. The course material has to be easily readable and absorbable. It should cover essential information about establishing and running a particular type of business – nothing more. While the main course content can be mastered over six months, payment should be spread over 12 months as this spread makes the monthly outlay affordable. If more consulting hours are required at the end of 12 months, the owner(s) needs to agree to such hours at the original rate, with payment spaced as may be affordable at the time.
- I, as consultant/coach, need to limit my presence and involvement to 60 hours over 12 months. Workshops should be limited to 1.5 to 2 hours during which important concepts, progress and problem areas are discussed. This is possible if you and your team preview modules and prepare for workshops – and if you really get to know the content of each module in due course.
ABPLAN designed its Build For Results Programme against seven criteria as seen from the perspective of an owner. Would these also be your criteria?
- Price or fee: Monthly payments have to be within reach.
- Exceptional usefulness: The content of the programme has to provide a real reason to invest.
- Functionality: The programme has to be very practical and doable. It has to contain examples of plans and of marketing material.
- Availability: The programme material has to be available in full to the client. The course, however, has to be presented in small, achievable segments.
- Relationship: The style of coaching and the pace have to suit the client.
- Client’s growth: The programme has to ensure the entrepreneur’s quick learning about planning and execution.
- Value for client: The outcome has to be a more successful business.
Click criteria for a paragraph about each of the seven criteria.
Small and Medium Business
The difference between the two programmes/courses lies in the scope of the programmes and the amount of support that I, as consultant/coach, personally have to provide.
- The Grow Your Small Business Programme has been designed for two to four persons. It has a larger scope than the micro-business programme as it covers additional needs that arise the moment the owner has a business partner and/or when staff members are appointed. The additional people factor makes new demands; the manner in which team members work together. How the emotional and intellectual involvement of each is assured and achieved to a very large degree affects the success of the business. This programme has additional modules that cover the people dimension and the building of a committed team.
- The Build For Results Programme is designed for five to 15 people. It has more modules concerning intangible human relations than the small business programme. The consultant is more involved. I run longer and more workshops over 12 months. I also devote attention to the individual needs of partners and possibly of other persons on the team. This could include separate private executive coaching. My follow-up and backup services are also more in volume, measured in time spent on commenting on the plans of departments and in interacting with a range of people.
This programme covers 5 consulting hours per month for a total of 60 hours.
Medium-sized company environment
Medium-sized companies have a MD and usually a number of managers heading various departments e.g. Production, Marketing & Sales, Financial, and Stocks and Distribution, etc.
All managers and seniors would be involved in a programme. In fact, all team members should participate. This larger number of people affects the speed of communication, of learning and of implementation.
The owner/MD and all team members take responsibility for studying the programme modules. However, it is rare that all team members are equally on speed. Everyone has their own understanding of the content. Supplementary discussions with small teams are necessary. I offer brief presentations, examples of plans and marketing material and discussions.
Every manager and department has special needs. I provide coaching at various levels.
The pace of this programme is dependent on a wider range of factors. In a broad first discussion with a prospective client, we cover the current situation of the company, its market(s), identify the challenges which the company faces (e.g. a lower level of revenue or a lack of processes and systems), we discuss needed outcomes, and we identify a number of key activities which need to be considered e.g. improved planning and effective execution.
We get to grips with strategic and operational goals and issues in workshops. Then we devolve planning and execution to the departmental team level.
Owners often view strategic and operational planning as their domain. Would you be amenable to drawing your entire team members into the full process of planning and operational execution? Owners usually are.
Any strategy means change and the creation of new habits. In a medium-sized company creating new routines and habits can take up to 12 months.
My clients find that my Build For Results Programme offers true value and that it is well worth the effort, commitment and application on their part. You and your team too can build and grow a successful medium-sized business!
Take a no-risk first step – meet me
There is no risk attached in meeting me – and it’s gratis. The first step is that we should meet. To ensure that we have an in-depth discussion from the moment we meet, get my Mini-Strategy Discussion Questionnaire below.
You will find it very useful to complete this questionnaire. It obliges you to put a fair amount of strategic information on paper – perhaps the first time that you will have done so. I will study your information and we will get off to a flying start when we meet.
Complete the questionnaire, send it to me and I will contact you to set up an appointment.
I’m looking for Ideal Clients. You are looking for an Ideal Consultant. Who knows we both might fit the bill. If not, we will have enjoyed a nice cup of coffee and depart all the wiser.
Albert provides a key service to our organisation, and we have benefited greatly from his ongoing work with us. He is insightful, quick witted, creative in his thinking and initiates new ways of thinking and working. He is very personable, and all our staff really like him.
Albert has made a tangible positive difference to our programme.
I have been consulting Albert/ABPLAN for longer than 10 years – and in three capacities:
– In my practice as a practising advocate, a sui generis profession, unique, but with the characteristics of a solopreneur – and I have received valuable guidance from Albert. All professionals – doctors, lawyers, civil engineers are entrepreneurs who run businesses without any business training – consult Albert!
– As hotelier and owner of the Karoo Art Hotel, Barrydale. This is a medium-size business in terms of the multiple facets and intensity of its operations. Albert’s human resources and marketing knowledge are invaluable.
– In my personal capacity – tapping not only Albert’s business acumen and strategic planning skills for income-earning purposes, but also for personal growth and development and trying to keep a balance between everything.
Not one session with Albert has ever been anything short of inspiring – leaving one with new enthusiasm and fresh courage. To me Albert is part of my life – all facets thereof – and a steady guide.
Albert’s wide knowledge is impressive if not a bit intimidating. His knowledge is met by his passion for what he does and his integrity. He is a market leader in a country that critically requires what he does – train and guide entrepreneurs to plan and execute.
Can you make a difference, a real difference, to your life and future and add value to the lives of others?
The answer is a definitive yes.